On Wednesday June 28th I was on Bridge Street on Channel 9 talking swimwear trends for 2017 with Tenesha Murphy. Our topic: the latest SWIMWEAR TRENDS FOR 2017 and how to realistically wear them if youare over 30 and not a model! Am I right?
A one piece suit has been gaining popularity slowly over the past few years and at this point it is no longer a trend but is here to stay! The trick: making it look modern and not frumpy. The fact is that the more material and coverage you have, the bigger you look. Sorry to say. So how do you create the illusion of showing more skin but still get the coverage you want in all the right places.
- CUT OUT ONE PIECES- side cut outs make it modern.
- OFF THE SHOULDER OR ONE SHOULDER- showing a little more skin, especially the shoulders, makes it sexy.
- LACE UP DETAILS- whether in the back, sides or a low cut neckline, lace up has the illusion of showing skin but also having some coverage.
- MINI-TEE- coverage for your arms in swimsuit but modern and fresh.
Still not on board with a one piece? That’s cool. You can still get support in a two piece:
- SHELF BRA/BRALETTE TOP- kinda like a sports bra, it give you support and comfort but it’s on trend.
- HIGH WAISTED BIKINI- got a little extra skin because you had a baby? No worries, give the high waisted bikini a try. But beware: this look can add material to an area you want to minimize, so it may not work on every body.
If you are like me and you’ve got your go-to suit already or you prefer to be more covered up, then incorporate the trends into your coverup! Crochet is big right now, or how about a cute one piece shortall/romper instead of your traditional cover up?
Thanks to our friends at Lord & Taylor for all the great styles featured on the show, and they have an awesome swim sale going on right now. Missed the show? CLICK HERE to watch. What swim trend will you be rocking this summer? Tell me in the comments below.